My random blog (formerly Mt Rainier Ascent)

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

UPS is the DOWNS

So, I'll have a UPS rant now. I wanted to rant, and this blog thingie seemed like the place to do it.

I ordered a new lens for my camera, so that i can make beautiful art for my picture website. I ordered the lens from Amazon over the weekend, and the UPS webpage had it being delivered today. So, I anxiously watched the web and noticed that, at 12:09, they attempted delivery. Since it required a signature, they didn't leave it, and said that they would come back again tomorrow.

So, I figured I'd call up the local UPS place and see if I could get it tonight. So, I called them up and told them that I had had a package delivery attempt and that I was wondering if I could get it held at the UPS place and go pick it up this evening. Their response, "Sure". I asked what time they closed, and she said, "Well, we're closed right now, but we open up again at 4:30, and stay open till 6:30. Then, from 7-7:30 you can pick up 'held' packages. But, you have to call the 1-800 number to get the package held."

So, that seemed fine. I called the 1-800 number, and had them hold the package at the UPS place for delivery. The 1-800 person said that it would be ready for pickup tomorrow (ding ding ding! warning bells should have been going off). Since the local gal said that I could get it tonight, I wasn't too worried (ding ding ding.. Always be worried!)

I work near the center of town. UPS is on the northeast corner of town. My house is in the southwest direction from work. So, I decided to not go to my house first. I stayed at work later than normal, and then went to Taco Bell to eat supper. I would normally have eaten at home, but that was a way to burn some of the time until 7pm. I left the Taco Bell around 6:45 and drove to the UPS place.

Got there at 6:52. Needless to say, the doors were locked. So, I went back to the truck and waited some more. At 7, when the doors opened, I went in, and, to make a long story shorter, they didn't have the package.

Come to find out, you must specify "SAME DAY PICKUP" when you call to have the package held, or else it won't be available. Granted, no one had told me this, but, as is the case with cell phone contracts, I'm just supposed to automatically know all of their rules and regulations.

So, I get to go back up to the northeast corner of town tomorrow to pick up the package.

The thing that ticks me off about UPS is that it seems like EVERY SINGLE TIME I have a package delivered, if they don't leave it at the house, I can count on learning a new lesson... the hard way. Fedex is great with their packages. They seem to actually want to help you get your package. The local UPS people seem to make it their job to tick you off at every step of the game. It's as though they know they have you, and there isn't a thing you can do about it, so you just have to live with it. The people at the depot seem very smug when you go in to see them, and there's no chance that they will do one iota of additional work to make the customer happy.

Having said all that, the stdisclaimer.h file states the following:

// I'm sure not all of the local UPS employees
// are bad.
I'm confident that not all UPS
// employees are bad.. Heck,
my brother works
// at a UPS facility. But, my experiences
// have been less than pleasant. But, what
// am I gonna do?
They've got me, and they know it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home